Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Bridge: Day four





Bwana asifiwe! (Praise the Lord!) Today, we took a walk out into the surrounding community and met two ladies who have been trained through the ELI training center.

The first lady, Esther, showed us the bread baking oven she now uses to bake and sell her goods. We enjoyed her rolls and muffins. We also had an opportunity to pray with her and ask God's blessing on her and her business. It was amazing to see how excited she was about working and how she had been empowered by ELI.

When we went into her home, there were beautiful blue skies, yet in the middle of our prayer (about 20 minutes into our visit) the wind kicked up strongly and a torrential downpour started. We waited it out for a few minutes and it passed. We were told that in the Kenyan culture this is considered a sign of blessing. Esther gave us some of her rolls and donuts as a gift to take with us.

Next, we went to the home of a lady named Paris who works as an assistant parent at the children's home. She also has a business of raising baby chicks which she sells to the community for extra income. She told us how she is using her income from the children's home to pay for her sister's schooling. It was incredible to just be walking down a dirt road in the middle of Kenya and soaking in the experience.

We continued to work on the brick wall today and it now stands taller than John. It should soon be finished and we hear we will be doing some more demolition tomorrow.

This afternoon we spent more time playing with the children again. They are such a joy to be around and are truly contagious. They are opening up more and are talking much more with us. I spent some time with a girl named Scopia who showed me the children's garden that they themselves work in and run. They do amazing work and are so proud. She shared with me that she wants to work hard and do good because God has done so much and has forgiven her sins and she is saved. Also I asked about school and she said she likes it very much because it is her future. It was really touching to hear her enthusiasm. This is common among all of them. We also went to devotions with them. It is awesome to hear them sing praises. We try to keep up with them.

We have a great time at our meals with the staff. We usually laugh until we cry. They shared how good it has been to have us here as an encouragement and to bring laughter and joy with us.

It is wonderful to see the messages everyone is leaving. It is incredible that half a world away we can receive the love and support from all of you. We cherish each and every one, even though everyone is complaining that they are mostly for me. :)

6 comments:

Visitors said...

Hi boys - it's Mommy!!! I am so excited to read your messages. I miss you SO much. I show your picture to everyone. The children said you should come with me next time. Yes, they like to play ball and we played dodge ball and other games. They are silly just like you. Chris - I miss you very much and think of you often. I hope everything is going okay there. You are so cute with your posts. Everyone got a kick out of it. I love you too, baby. It's awesome to hear from everyone. I haven't gotten to see any elephants just yet. I love you all. Big hugs and kisses.

Love you lots,
Julie/Mommy

Maggie said...

Hey everyone, I love reading about all your adventures and fun times you are having in Kenya! It looks beautiful over there.

Kay- I had a good laugh today because I got a card in the mail today from you. I just thought it was funny getting a card sent from california when you are currently in Kenya. Love ya!!

Mom- I hope you are having a wonderful time! I love you a miss you tons! I almost called you today with a 'medical' question, and then remembered you were in Kenya :o) Now I have to figure it out myself :o( Have you had your dinner yet?

I am praying for all of you and can't wait for the next update!

Shellie said...

Hello Bridge Team!

Been praying for all of you! May the power of the Lord continue to rest on you as you "wash the feet" of our fellow brothers and sisters in Africa! Great to see all the pics...may you be forever changed! I'm sure it's awesome to hear them singing and laughing and enjoying all of you! What a blessing! Love you guys!

Love Shellie and Dan

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! (not just Kay & Julie)
We keep in touch better this way than we regularly do. Some of you I've probably never talked with. Especially Kay's mom. I don't even know her name...I'm so lame. John, who looks like Wade's grandpa. (I think he's told you that before) Then there's Shad, we don't "know" you but you're very respected at our house. Gary has the cool Porshe that Wade covets. Sometimes it's just the things we see that we know about you. We're learning more with you away. Sorry we haven't made any real attempts in Californina. We pray for you all daily & we can see God is answering our prayers. You're doing a great job! Well, you're doing us proud as partners. I sound like I'm in a wierd mood. Whatever...hope it makes ya smile.
ttyl. ♥ you all!
Danielle *and Wade too* :)

Unknown said...

We miss you guys a bunch. Everyone here is thinking and praying for you, knowing that your work is bringing God's kingdom to earth. Wow . . . 1 week tomorrow, has it gone fast?

Phil 1:3-6

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! I can see that you are very busy and that you are enjoying the ministry in which you are participating. Not only are you blessing people in Africa, but I have been truly blessed in prayer for you as well. Thank you for the opportunity to do that. I continue to pray for you all and for the ways that God is using you in that commmunity.

Kay-I miss your laughter. Our other roommates don't seem to think I'm as funny as you do. :( I can't wait to hear about everything you experienced!

Jenni