Tuesday, July 29, 2008

News from Kit: July 29, Week 2

Hey Everyone,

I'm just checking in for my second update from Kenya. Thus far, my trip has been anything but boring. Last week I ended my letter by saying that I was coming down with a small fever. Well, that fever turned out to be to be the flu, which left me bedridden for several days. I am happy report though that I am now well and able to walk again.

This week, I was given the opportunity to travel to a local rain forest for a day and a night. The wildlife there is amazing. Alwin (another intern) and I decided to go for a hike into the forest on a trail that was only to be traversed with a guide. Naturally, Alwin and I did the trail guideless, and all was going well, until we were ambushed by a pack of monkeys (do monkeys travel in packs? I don't know...). We thought we were sneeking up on one monkey to get a good picture when suddenly there was a large "crashing" sound coming through the bushes towards us accompanied by loud monkey chattering. Alwin and I slowly backed up until we noticed the chattering was now much louder and had encircled us. "Oh no," I thought, "they've encircled us, we've walked right into their trap!" We both began to just slowly walk away, and alas, I lived to tell the tail (Alwin lived too). All in all, the trip to the rain forest was incredible.

On a slightly more serious note, I was able to attend the HIV/AIDS campaign this past Saturday. The campaign hosts various community games and activities as a means of introducing the the village to volunteers who will be providing free HIV/AIDS testing in their area in the near future. For those who test positive, free Anti-Retro Viral Therapy and counseling will be given. This Saturday, I will be attending another campaign in which I will compete in a 10,000m race. When I look at the stature of the Kenyans I will compete against and the 120lbs that encompasses their body weight, my goal is to not get lapped. . . . . . . 3 times.

Tomorrow, I will resume my normal duties at the Chebaiywa Health Clinic. Tuesdays and Thursdays are our MCH days, so expect to continue giving many immunization shots to newborns. I feel that it is such an honor to be involved in the healing work that God is doing western Kenya.

I hope to have some of my pictures posted there in the next couple of days. I hope that all is well with you all. Thank you for your continued support and prayer, they are most definitely appreciated!
-Kit

No comments: