Wednesday, July 23, 2008

News from Kit: July 18, Week 1


My trip to Kenya has been fairly exciting thus far. The adventure began when my baggage containing my clothes and medical supplies was lost in transit. I have since received the lost luggage; oh the joy that a fresh T-shirt (among other things) can bring.

My time has mostly been spent at the Chebaiywo health clinic. My patients have mostly been suffering from malaria and typhoid, though yesterday I received a patient suffering from a possible fractured tibia due to domestic violence from an alcoholic father. ELI has a program that is similar to Alcoholics Anonymous, so I will keep you posted on the family's condition.

Perhaps one of the more surprising things that I have learned about myself during my time in Kenya is that I apparently have hairy arms. It is not uncommon for me to have a child run over to me solely for the purpose of petting my arms.

I am also very impressed with my house parents, Ezekiel and Noella, at the orphanage where I am staying. Ezekiel and Noella are such a incredible parents to their 26 children, and have made me feel as if I am part of their family. There is one orphan in their family that I have been given the pleasure of meeting named Patrick. Patrick's mother died from HIV/AIDS, and when his grandmother could not care for him, she dumped him off in the bush (wilderness) to die. Patrick survived until a someone found him nearly dead due to his infection with HIV/AIDS. He is now staying at the ELI Children's Home where he has regained his health and is currently undergoing Anti-RetroViral Therapy. Patrick has also been given the opportunity to attend school and receive a free education. I have yet to see a child so filled with joy.

Currently, I am preparing to take part in a campaign that will host various games as a means of promoting free HIV/AIDS testing, however I awoke this morning with a fever, so I may have to wait for next week to attend another campaign. Thank you all again for the your continued prayer and support.

Kwaheri,

-Kit

Kit ended up being in bed and out of commission for four days! He's doing well now. He caught a flu bug that's been making the rounds in our village. This weekend, Kit will be able to join another AIDS campaign, and should be able to post an update again next Monday. ~Adele

No comments: