Saturday, June 06, 2009

Ann Pak is in Nairobi, Kenya :)

June 6, 2009

After 24 hours of being on a plane and layovers in N.Y. and London, I finally arrived at the Jomo Kenyatta Airport late yesterday night. Because of the higher altitude, my head felt heavy and it was a bit hot and humid inside the airport, but nevertheless, I was excited about being in Kenya! I passed through the VISA line without any complications and was ecstatic that both my luggage bags had made it safely to the carousel! :) As I made my way out to the general arrivals area, I saw a kind looking man (George) holding a sign that said "Mayfield Guesthouse" and underneath it in smaller letters "Kiprop/Pak". On my way to the guesthouse, I found myself scratching my left hand where a mosquito had already feasted, and noticed that the driver was on the right side of the car and we were driving on the left lane. I also noticed that the gates of the homes and buildings on the streets had some kind of barbwire, spikes, or shattered glass and quickly was informed by Michelle that homes were often broken into. Because it was dark those were my first impressions of Nairobi :) Today, despite my time conversions and efforts to avoid jetlag, my eyes opened at 3:30 in the morning so I got out my airplane pretzel snack and appeased my growling stomach while awaiting the sun to come up. I have a busy day ahead of me with Michelle and William in Nairobi, and I will be sure to blog/facebook about it when I get a chance! :) But I'm super excited to be here and am enjoying every moment!

1 comment:

janie said...

yay sister! i'm so glad you made it safe along with all your luggage.
i'm really excited to read about your adventures though i really shouldn't be on the computer at all at this point.

i miss you already.
umma and appa are trying to figure out how to call you but they say you supposedly left a calling card but they cannot find it.
so we'll see if we actually get in touch with you. hopefully!
i've been looking forward to it all day.

love you tons,
oenmi