Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Kayte Kerr Intern Update

Hey guys! I made it safely and have been loving every minute of this adventure. The facilities at Kipkaren are more than I ever could have wished for and the welcoming attitude of not only the staff and children but the community as a whole has been extremely overwhelming. I guess I will give you a little overview of what I have been doing over here. On Mondays and Tuesdays I spend the day teaching at Brook of Faith, the private school that the kids from the Children’s Home attend. I work with the baby class on Mondays and then class one, two and three on Tuesdays. It has been a joy watching these children learn and be patient with me since most of them are still working on their English and I’m working on my Swahili. On Wednesdays I go to the clinic and do home visits to people in the surrounding area that are either HIV positive or are suffering from a chronic illness. We visit with them and bring them a little positive encouragement while they share their stories with us. Thursdays and Fridays are spent at the public school in town, Chebaiywa. I teach mathematics to class six and class eight and then in the afternoons I teach CRE (Social Studies with a Christian flair) to class seven. It has been such a blessing being a part of the student’s lives there. They have so much potential and I am just starting to see their personalities come through now that they have gotten over the fact that I will be teaching them and that I’m white! Other than that my days are spent almost completely over at the Children’s Home, spending time with all the kids, learning how to wash clothes by hand, and sing and dance. The food is great and weather lovely. I honestly am having the time of my life and couldn’t ask for a better experience. I will tell you some more details and stories in my next blog…tune in!

1 comment:

Kristen W said...

yay kayte! i'm so happy you are having such an amazing time! love you!! :)