Monday, May 25, 2009

APU Update









Greetings from Kipkaren!

Brent and Justin here, and we would just like to take a few moments to say hello to friends and family and share a little bit about our time here at the training center. This past week has been filled with so many joyful events, we would just like to highlight a few of them. As we have been spending time with the children, the children have all found favorites, and thus we generally are playing with the same posse of children. For me, Brent, there are three children in particular who have touched my heart. Faith, Collins, and Dennis are their names, and I like them each for different reasons. I like Collins because he will never leave me alone, and always has to be holding my hand or rubbing the hair on my arm or doing something that involves affection towards me. Faith has an amazing story, and she is very shy, but always comes up to me and wants me to hold her or give her attention. Dennis is a crackup, he is an amazing dancer and loves to sing. Each of these children is HIV positive. My general days consist of waking up at dawn and running, and yesterday I ran with a Kenyan who took me on an 8 km run. I was beginning to walk around barefoot, but nurse Julie told me not to because she does not want me to get worms. All of the children are fascinated by my scabs (yes mother I crashed my scooter again and I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to freak out. More details later). We go on home visits which are awesome because we meet people with amazing stories and we even meet people along the way who have never seen a white person (Wazungu) before. This place is amazing and the Kenyan people offer a hand of love that cannot be matched. I love you all and could not wish for any better way to spend my birthday.


For me, Justin (or Kipblimo as the Kenyans would call me), the kids that have touched me since I have been here are Toi, Sandra, Melva and Patrick. Each of them are unique in their own way and I love spending time with them. Toi is not afraid to say hello or run up to me and great me. She is amazed by my big hands and always finds a vein, bug bite or freckle to show other kids. Sandra is a lot like Faith, she is super shy but won’t be afraid to say hello to me or hug me. Melva is a couple years older then Toi and Sandra. She is usually alone except when she sees me. I love that her shyness doesn’t get in the way of our relationship. Lastly is Patrick, he is one the older boys of the childrens home and has an amazing story behind his life. Whenever I am around, he will give me a firm handshake then walk with me and hold my hand. Our days, as Brent mentioned, consist of the same tasks in the morning and the afternoon is always different. The guys on the trip spend our mornings keying (plastering cement) and the women wash the kid’s clothes at the children’s home. Everyone here we meet is very welcoming into their home and each and every one of them is so generous. God is doing incredible work here in our hearts and in their community. I love you all and will see you in a week in a half. I send blessings your way and we have been praying for you. Love you Mom, Dad and Shane! Miss you Beandip, Love you!



12 comments:

Donna said...

Thank you Brent and Justin for sharing your stories and for sending the photos! Taylor looks happy, and that made my day! It just fills my heart with joy to hear how God is working and blessing you and the people you are meeting there. Encourage the girls to write, too! May God continue to bless and keep you healthy and filled with His Joy and Love.
Love from
Mom McCord

Unknown said...

Brent,

Happy Birthday! The pics are awesome. I can't believe this is the way you decided to tell your mom about the scoot. haha Donna, I would have told you, but you never asked. Anyway, every time I read your stories I get excited for all of you and it encourages me in my own walk of faith. Continue your good work and have fun. Oh and I'm planning a fishing trip for when you get back.

-Jon

Donna Robbins said...

Happy Birthday Son! We agree this is a blessed birthday indeed. And yes, that was the first thing I noticed was your arm. And Jon, snitches get stitches according to our kids, so you are excused from telling me. Keep the overflow of love blessing those kids. You bring glory to the Lord. Halleluia! We love you, Jamie & Mom

Lauren Vroom said...

og willard and J thank you for writing!!
my family and I are praying for your team daily!
Tell Grace I miss her very much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Taylor,
It looks like your having a wonderful time and we all can't wait to hear of your adventures, when you get back. I enjoyed the pictures and hope that you all post more. The whole family is praying for you and I'm waiting for you to write. I will continue to check the site daily. :)
Always praying for you,
Chris Hutto

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Idaho! May God bless all of you for giving so generously of yourselves. I enjoyed reading about the children and it sounds as if there is a real bonding that exists among you. Your hearts must be full of joy, knowing that your presence there has done so much for others and your reward surely must be a feeling of complete satisfaction. I send hugs to everyone and especially to Taylor McCord.

Anonymous said...

Jambo Taylor!
It sounds like your group is keeping busy. I can't wait to hear all the details of your trip. When we wake up in the morning Faith shouts "Taylor is going to bed!" :) We are all thinking of you and praying that you are a blessing to the people of Kenya, and praying for your safty as well.
We all liked the entries of Brent and Justin, and hope that you write next! :) Hope your taking lots of pictures! We all love you and can't wait for you to get back.
In Him, Toni

Anonymous said...

Dear Chelimo,
Hope this little note finds you happy and healthy. Your team members sound so loverly! Have you seen any elephants yet? If you have a moment please take some photos of the people and the countryside. Take care, love and prayers. Weez

kristen_keiko said...

JUSTIN!!!! I loved reading what you posted. Sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. And the picture of you- SO CUTE! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories. Praying for you tons!! I know that God is using you to bless all those you interact with :) Miss you friend.

TAYLOR!! I just have to tell you how much I loved your email from the day you guys got there!! It was so beautifully written. I can't wait to hear stories from you either! I know God is moving in mighty ways. Love you pretty.

Love,
K.Bish

Anonymous said...

Matey!!
So good to see you rsmiling face, and at the same time to see that little child holding your finger. What a blessing. Can't wati to hear every story that you can remember. See you in a week!!! Love you harder-
pops

tastycolors said...

Brent- we LOVED seeing the pics and reading your story. So looking forward to hearing all about it when you return-- you are returning aren't you. The joy in your message makes me wonder. Keep those shoes on.
Love,
The O'Rourkes

Anonymous said...

Grandma and Grandpa want to let you know that we love you, Taylor McCord and so very proud of you. We pray for you and your team every day and we are all anxious to hear your stories and see the pictures we hope that you were able to take.
Hugs and lots and lots of love.