Friday, May 29, 2009

Simpson Univ. 09: We are in Kenya!!

Bwana Asifiwe! (Praise the Lord) We made it safely to Kenya on Wednesday the 20th. We traveled for 2 days, and after a 9 hour drive from Nairobi to Illula we arrived. We were greeted by the children singing and giving us flowers. The people here welcomed us with open arms and let us know how thankful they were that we got there. We really feel at home here even though we are thousands of miles away.
The first week we got here we started on the project for which we had raised funds. We are building a numba ya kuku (chicken house) for the children. We have been working on it for a week and a half and are almost finished. It is exciting to know that we are leaving something here that will last.
Our daily routine so far starts with waking up at 7 am to get ready and pray for our day. We then go to breakfast at 8am where we eat toast, bananas, eggs, and chai. Kenyans drink tea (chai) with sugar and milk and they drink it like water. We really enjoy it as well. After breakfast we go to work on the numba ya kuku until our chai break at 11. At 11:30am we continue to work until lunch at 1pm where after we rest until we go back to work at 2:30pm. We continue to work until 4pm when the children get out of school; and come to play. We are able to be with the kids until devotion time at 6. We each lead devotions with different families (the children are separated into 4 families each with a set of house parents), and sing songs and have bible study. We serve dinner to the children (ugali and cabbage), and at 7:30 we share dinner with the directors of ELI. We always have good conversation and enjoy getting to know them. We then head back to our house where we journal, talk, read, and pray before going to bed to wake up the next day and do it all over again.
We really love being here in Kenya and haven't experienced much culture shock because we are living in a christian community with people who love and serve God. We have been really encouraged and welcomed by the people here and are learning so much from the children and staff.
As a team, we have encountered some struggles but with prayer and seeking God we have gotten past them and are growing so much closer as a team. God has strengthened each one of us individually and as a group. He has united us and has used each of our strengths to make us a strong team. We are thankful that God has called us together for a purpose and a time such as this.
We are excited to see what God has planned for us in the next few weeks and we want to be used in any way God has for us.
Thank you for all of your prayers because God has really been protecting us in every way. We are praying for you as well. Some prayer requests are that we would continue to be healthy and be sensitive to God's leading for us. Also for continued unity and strength as a team.

Shout outs:

Elisa- Mom and Dad I miss you a lot and I hope the move is going well. Chelsea your letter encouraged me so much and I love you! Family I love you all! Friends I miss you all! Gram and Gramps I really do miss you and thank you for the letter.

Megan McCarty- Family and friends, I love you and am ever so grateful for you, your prayers, support, encouragement and letters. I am praying for you and God's hands upon your lives and I look forward to being with and sharing my experience with you upon returning! - Amani!

Karissa- Mom, dad, Josh and little girl (MLE), I miss you guys! I love the letter you wrote, I've read it like four times! MLE- I have a baby for you, I'm packing it in my suit case. Love you guys! JFuzz- oh my goodness I miss you! I have so much to tell you, see you soon. Love you and miss you!

Megan Flores- Ninapenda Kenya (I love Kenya)! If it weren't for you all in American whom I love so much, I'd probably stay for the summer. Mom and dad, I love and miss you lots, I'll bring you back with me some day. You too Macee and Matt. Jeni I am beginning to understand why you love this place so much. Meme, Mom, Dad, and Katie thanks so much for your letters. Chad I can't wait to hear about your job it is in my prayers. Marcy I miss you and you're all in my prayers. To the rest I love you all! Love Meg

7 comments:

Momma said...

Hi Meglegs, We got her girls blog. Pretty neat. I will check it from time to time. We miss you so very much. We are excited to hear what you are doing. Stay in the Lord, Love Momma :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there Meg...Aunt Stef here. =) Can't wait to see you when you get back here. So glad to hear what a wonderful time you are having and Oh my gosh what an experience! I know we've said it before but we are sooooo proud of you! Love you lots, see you soon! Love all us Bucks! MUAH! =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Karissa!

It was great to finally read a blog
from you guys hearing that you are safe and doing well. The days sound long, but very good. Glad that you are enjoying the people there and I am sure they feel the same. Looking forward to hearing of all your experiences. Your cousin James is here for the weekend. Love and prayers!
Mom and Dad, Josh and Emily

John M. said...

Karissa and team, you are in my prayers. Can't wait to hear how God worked.

Jamaica said...

Team KenMacia! we Love You So much!!!!!!! just read the update, glad you got there safely and are having "fun" :) i know God is doing great things in all of you!!!! Know that the other half of THE TEAM is praying for y'all.

a few words of encouragement from one country to the other!
Grace and Peach to you from God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ. i always thank God for you b/c of His grace given you in CJ. for him you have been enriched in every way-in all your speaking an din all your knowledge-b/c our testimony about C was confirmed in you (1corth1:3-6)& i am sure that God, who began the good work within you, iwll continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when CJ comes back again(phill1:6) I pray that the God who gives hope will fill you with much joy&peace while you trust in him. then your hope will overflow by the power of the HS(rom15:13) Now to him wio is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work wihtin us, to him be the glory in the church and in CJ throughout all generations forever & ever!AMEN (ehp3:20-21) Megan my Love don't forget that i'm praying for you& LOVE YOU ALL so much! thinks are going to be great, don't let the little things get you down and hold close to each other. when you are cranky let others know nicely& respect others. when you are cranky ask God to help you put off the foolish thinking and to give you a compassionate heart! ask him to open your eyes for ways to can be a blessing to your teammate! Girls a word from another leader, don't ask questions! even though Megan was smart &limited you to 3, shoot for 2!! don't rely on her to make all the action happen, step up (&i know you do)think for yourself, pray for ways God can show you new ways to minister to others or be ok with staying 20 minutes late! i know your on ptime! oh Megan M, read some of Eph it brings things into prospective & its about community! We all say HI, i hope your eating enough! LOVE YOU ALL!!! GOD BLESS YOU!

Momma said...

Meagn F....We miss you. Can't wait to hear all that God is doing there. Keep up the Faith, and be strong in His might. He is faithful. We love you.
Momma

Jess said...

Hello Kenya team! It's been wonderful to read all about your trip! It's sounds like it's been a tremendous experience! I'm looking forward to hearing stories and seeing lots of pictures when you get back to Simpson! Continuing to pray for you as you re-adjust to life at home and the reverse culture shock!