Saturday, May 19, 2007

Heather Bixby: Overflowing!

I felt a sense of nervousness and excitement as I left California to begin my journey to Kipkaren, Kenya. Even though I did not quite feel I was on my way, I knew in my heart that God had great plans to work in me and through me. As I traveled from LAX (Los Angeles Airport) to London, London to Nairobi, and Nairobi to Eldoret…I had much time to prepare myself for my destination. I knew that God was going to take this time to teach me a great number of things that I have been refrained from while in the States. In Kenya, time is not an issue. I knew this will be one of God’s challenges: to discover my identity and the unknown.
When I got off the plane, I was immediately welcomed by Kierra (staff with Empowering Lives International). After Megan, Carrie, (my team member interns) and I got our luggage, we were greeted by the director: Julius. I cannot begin to describe how friendly these men were. We continued to travel by bus and plane, then bus again until we finally arrived to the village in Kipkaren, Kenya. However, I must tell you about the ride up to the village. When Ezkiel (one of the house parents) drove us to the children’s home…reality struck me. I cannot begin to explain the beauty I saw…but amongst poverty. Oh, and the Kenyan drivers are crazy….lol. Pedestrians definitely do not have the right of way.:)
When we arrived to the home, we could hear the children singing for us. It was all so overwhelming….I have never felt so welcome. Every child and staff member was at the front to welcome us. There was a rope that was between us and the children…and Joesph (another one of the house parents) asked us to cut the rope to open our “gift” – the children! Each child threw out their hands to welcome us. What I have learned in the last few days…Kenyans love on one another. Whenever you pass someone on the road, you always greet them. After meeting the children, we were welcomed by the staff. So many smiles! I do not know how to describe what I felt anymore then saying…I was so filled!
Later in the afternoon I was able to attend devotions and have dinner with the children. I was introduced to the family I will be working with…I will be helping the family of Peter and Zipporah. This couple is so amazing…they have such an amazing heart for God. They have 24 children under their care…one of whom is their biological son. They said it was hard for their son at first, for other children to call them mom and dad. It has been difficult for me because the children I am working with are very new to the home so they hardly speak any English. I found ways other ways to communicate with them…joking around and playing with them. Zipporah and Peter translate for me at times. They love to hear about my family, church, and bible stories.
There is so much to tell….and yet it has only been a few days! Oh, one thing: my name is very hard for them to say, so they renamed me as: Jeruto, which means I was born on a journey – traveler. I can not thank you enough for all your prayers and support! I will be updating you soon, and I trust you are all doing well! If you have a chance, please pray for my language barrier, and for a women in the village, Emily, who just heard word she received malaria. God bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow sounds amazing! I'm so stoked for you!!

Anonymous said...

hey so i'm reading your blog while in ireland and sounds like you are already having an amazing time... i pray that you will continue to experience amazing things while you are there....

Anonymous said...

love you and am still so proud of you!

Mandy said...

you're an inspiration