Saturday, May 19, 2007

Megan Hoffman (Intern): First Impressions

Well, I have been in Kenya for about 3 days now, and already I have so much to tell! The plane ride was about a 28-30 hour adventure when you include all of the layovers and the Kenyan airplane we took to arrive at Eldoret, the main city next to my village, Kipkaren. I have never seen a more beautiful place! It is the rainy season in Kipkaren, and everything around is a beautiful green. These past two days have been amazing, as I have begun to get to know the children I will be serving for the next two months. I am specifically going to be working with the Ruto family. The Ruto’s are house parents for 24 orphans (12 boys and 12 girls). The parents are on leave until next week, so other staff members through ELI have been taking care of the children. I had the pleasure of spending a few hours on my own with the kids last night. I was able to get to know them better, hear some of their stories, and teach them a few games. These kids have been through so much and it is amazing to see the transformation that Christ is doing in their lives through Empowering Lives International. Each of these children are beautiful and I am so excited to start putting some pictures up so that you can get to know them as well!
The interns have off on Fridays, so today we went into Eldoret and did some shopping. We had lunch with the interns from the other orphanage as well. Tonight we had dinner at the hut of some new friends, and have spent the night hanging out, drinking tea, and just enjoying our time in Kenya.
I am so excited for sharing the next two months with all of you. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I will be updating this Blog frequently, so please check back to find out what I have been up to! Right now the biggest thing I would like prayer for is to connect with the staff in Kipkaren and for the language barrier with the kids and Kenyan staff. Please keep us all in your prayers.

Peace and Love,
Megan Hoffmann

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jambo, Megan!
It's so great to hear how you've "landed" in your new home-away-from-home! I love your descriptions of the people and sights you are seeing... very uplifting! Asante sana! Praying for your language acquisition (*wink*).
Love, ><>Keri

Anonymous said...

OH my dear Meg,

I miss you more than you could possible imagine.....im so happy that you are enjoying your time there so far and i really hope you feel better...i will continue to keep you in my prayers....i love you sooo much! a little update..i finally got a job...im a server at California Pizza Kitchen so that will be a blast..i start tomorrow.....so ya ...other than that just hanging out and such....i miss you !!!!! ur in my prayers and i love you! talk to you soon

Love,
Alex