Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bethany Bible- From the heart of Rebekah

My dad challenged us to try and express our feelings in a poem because it touches people’s hearts more, since we are relational beings. Now I am no poet but I think God blessed me with the words to express myself and I wanted to share it with you as well. Love, Rebekah

My Africa
I cry for you my Africa,
I must shed a tear,
I have heard your tragic story,
And closed my heart in fear.

Confusion overtakes me,
As my emotions ebb and flow,
How can you say God is good?
Or what you reap is what you sow?

Pain fills your life song,
A humble melody,
Yet with God as your refuge,
You sing harmony.

With a rhythmic dance,
Your passion overflows,
For this God of compassion,
I hardly seem to know.

The notes of your past,
Have left an open door,
To see the heart of God,
To serve and love Him more.

Can this be envy,
That creeps inside of me?
For though my tune is sweet,
It seems somehow empty.

So my Africa,
I want to tell you this,
Though I came to help and serve,
You’ve shown me what I’ve missed.

Glory be to God,
For how you’ve touched my life,
Teaching me to be filled with joy,
In the face of strife.

Asante, my Africa
I’m just so overwhelmed.

3 comments:

Bev said...

Rebekah, the poem you wrote is phenomenal! I have been trying to verbalize my feelings that come when I read the updates that are sent, but you said what I feel, and I am sure that for you, being there, being part of it all, it is all much more intense. Thank you for letting God teach you.
Love,
Bev

Jan Tamble said...

Awesome poem Rebekkah - I am a friend of Tom and Charlotte Feitchman's and used to go to Bethany and be in a Sunday School class with them and your parents. Let them know how much I enjoy reading the daily emails I am getting and PLEASE say hi to Don Rogers if he is there - he is a good friend too from my other church Living Spring Christian Fellowship in Garden Grove. Blessings, Jan Tamble

Lynnette said...

Rebekah,

Your poem is very profound. We are so proud of you for taking on the challenge of going on the mission trip as well as the role of language leader. What an awesome trip you are all having.

Aunt Lynnette & Uncle Kent

P.S. Pray for us as we leave for Panama for our short term mission to teach English as a second language.