Monday, July 16, 2007

Kingsburg 5: Ashley reporting

So this is going to be the team journal for the past couple of days, since we were not able to post them earlier…

When we arrived in Ilula, we were greeted by 91 children gathered in a semi circle singing songs to us. We then introduced ourselves and made our way around the semi circle shaking each hand of the children as they said “Welcome home!” and we each received a beautiful small bouquet of pink and white roses. It was an extraordinary welcome, especially since these children have so little but give so much.

Sunday was a busy day. We started off with church, followed by lunch, then a tour of the compound. The team got to see the training center which helps locals learn how to plant crops, farm, and make ovens. At the end of the tour Bryan and myself got to milk a cow, while the rest of the team laughed and took pictures. But hey we got to try everything once right? We got to play with the children until devotionals time, and I some children asked why my neck and upper back were red, so I had to explain that I am very white and the sun burns my skin, and that next time I will be wearing sunscreen. I still don’t think they understood…

Today at a staff meeting, Dave enjoyed preaching Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.” We got to visit the local school where they have a prep period at 7:15 for extra learning, and a flag salute and prayer from 8-8:15.

It's so wonderful to be blessed by the Kenyans, they are so warm and willing to teach us new words and phrases, even if it takes us more than once to learn how to say it. They are so willing to learn about us, our families, odd things we do in the US, and most importantly new information about Jesus. Though the children know more verses by heart than you can even imagine!

Sarah and Rachel Fandel, I found Jonah, and told him that you told me to give him hugs. So I said “I’m going to give you 3 hugs, one for Rachel, one for Sarah, and one for myself.” All the children watched, laughed and counted along as I gave him 3 hugs.

Mom, I tried calling you at the London airport, but the calling card wasn’t working, and collect calls weren’t accepted from your number or the home phone. So I am sorry about that! I love and miss you and dad!

Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers!

-Ashlea Dedini

Click here to see some photos of our time so far.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So awesome to continue hearing the great things that are happening in Kenya! Thanks for the update - the pictures are PRICELESS.

Keep taking pictures!

We love you all, and will continue to pray.

- Ashlea's mom : )

Anonymous said...

How awesome is our God! You now can understand a little of what us past team members have been trying to share when we come home. From now on, you will be able to feel like you were actually on the trip, even when you stay in Kingsburg. You are part of a family now, and we all share in our love for the Father and our love for our Kenyan brothers and sisters.

P.S. Kim and Dave: have you met Collins? What is he like? I imagined him very shy and reserved. But I bet he feels so special to have part of his American family there. I spoke with Darol yesterday at church, and we both send our love to him.

Continued blessings and prayers for your work in Illua. We will be praying especially as the marriage workshop starts tomorrow.

Kathy Jepkemboi

Anonymous said...

p.s. . . . when do we get pictures???

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to be in touch with you. We will continue praying for you each day.

Love to all on the team.

Anonymous said...

Ash,
I'm so happy to see you learning how to mortar bricks. Now when you get home you can fix the rocks on the house wall. LOL I love you and I'm proud of you and what you are doing there.
Love Dad